IE Performance Issues Adding Dom Nodes

My app has a search screen that fetches the results via Ajax and displays them in a table. Worked fine in Firefox, but in IE there’s a slight processor jump for a second or so. Strange, but not a problem. The users of this app, however, use a remote desktop app to run IE to access it. And when they did the search, their CPU would hit 100% for 1-5 minutes, making the entire terminal completely unusable.

I agonized over different JavaScript fixes: removed a table JS widget, switched off of tables altogether, switched to innerHTML, used DocumentFragments. Nothing worked.

Then, on a whim, I disabled all the CSS files on the app, and it worked like a charm. As I narrowed it down, I discovered that some CSS I was using to emulate frames (non-scrolling header, footer, and sidebar) was the offending code.

Let’s step back and think about that one again. What caused the processor to hit 100% for 5 minutes was not JavaScript, but CSS.

Sigh. So, if you have an issue with IE hitting 100% processor load for any reason, don’t assume that JS is necessarily the problem. Try disabling your CSS and see if that fixes it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: