February 11, 2009
I’ve just uploaded a minor patch to Sample App. This fixes some errors in the production build targets, and adds more thorough JavaDoc and YUI Doc.
sample-app-0.1.1.zip – 20.6 MB
You can also find out more about Sample App.
February 10, 2009
I’ve just posted a Java webapp called “Sample App” (until I can think of a better name for it). The goal for this webapp is to be a project template using industry-standard libraries and best-practices for full-stack Java application development, from a high-performance rich client tier, back to the database. There’s nothing particularly revolutionary about it, but it’s hard to find this particular combination of features – especially a combined rich frontend and backend. It’s released under a BSD license.
Check it out, take what’s helpful to you, and improve on the rest!
- Logging (YUI Logger)
- Combination of assets to save on HTTP requests
- CSS sprites automatically generated (SmartSprites)
- Minification (YUI Compressor)
- Ajax requests (YUI Connection)
- Strict presentation logic boundary (JSTL)
- Copy in properties files
- Separation of business logic and webapp into distinct projects
- Dependency injection (Spring)
- Unit testing (JUnit)
- MVC (Struts configured via Spring)
- ORM (Hibernate)
- Logging (Log4J)
- Separate Business Logic and DAO tiers
- Separate build targets for dev and prod environments, changing config files, adding additional JS, and enabling/disabling logging and minification
- Run on local box from a bare checkout using a build target, without any additional configuration or native code (Jetty, HSQLDB)
- JDK 1.5 or above
- Ant 1.6.5 or above
Download the zip file above, expand it, go to sample-webapp/build, and run ant. This will run the default target run-dev. The app will then be accessible on your local computer at http://localhost:8080/sample-webapp/
February 2, 2009
In Firefox 3 on Windows, a Flash movie had a black-and-white dotted border when clicked upon.
Turns out that this is because it has a default “outline” style in FF3. Style it to “outline:none” and you should be fine.
Better solution: use a CSS Reset =]